How to Prepare Your Gutters For Fall
The fall leaves are beautiful this time of year, but the last thing you want to worry about are your gutters being clogged up with leaves and sticks. As a homeowner, I know the gutter situation is often time not the first thing you think about with owning a home. But maintenance and prevention are the keys in dealing with gutters.
When clogged gutters happen, you run the risk of premature wearing of roofing materials, water leaks, or mold and mildew growth. To avoid this predicament, I will share with you some tips and tricks to prevent this from happening to you!
Tips To Prepare Your Gutters
- Clean your gutters before fall arrives, or hire someone to clean your gutters. This prevents your gutters from becoming overwhelmed with pine cones, leaves and branches. When you are cleaning your gutters, it is possible that you may encounter nests or pests who have made your gutters a home. Call a professional to deal with animals that have built a home in your gutters.
- Flush the gutters with water to thoroughly remove any remaining debris to identify if there are any cracks or leaks in the system that need to be repaired.
- Inspect the downspouts around the house to make sure that they are not obstructed or damaged. Remove any obstructions you encounter. This will help ensure that water can flow normally without getting backed up.
- Inspect the gutters themselves. Gutters that are cracked and broken, or not mounted securely to the side of the house should be replaced.
- You might want to consider installing gutter guards, especially if you live in an area that is heavily forested. It will save you from having to clean periodically throughout the year, and it will save you time and money later.
When you prepare your gutters for fall, you reduce the risk of clogged gutters and potentially causing water damage. Clogged gutters can easily lead to water damage on roofs and in attics. If you have found water damage in your attic or anywhere else in your home, call PureDry right away! We will be there to take care of ALL your water damage needs!