24/7 Emergency Service

(888) 777-0181

Dealing With Wet Walls/Wet Ceilings

Where Do Wet Walls/Wet Ceilings Come From?

Wet walls and wet ceilings can be the result of several different things. Ice and snow buildup on roofs can put a lot of weight and pressure on the top structure. If there is age or unsealed spots on the roof, water can seep through and cause damage to the inside ceiling of the home.

Pipes in walls can burst or leak causing the insulation and dry walls of homes to bubble and stain. There are many factors that can cause wet walls and wet ceilings in homes. In Seattle, the air is typically wet and there is a lot of rain. It isn’t uncommon for homes and commercial businesses to report wall and ceiling water damage.

Wet Structure and Mold Growth

The biggest problem, aside from structural damage, that a homeowner can have from water damage to walls and ceilings is mold growth. Structural damage can occur, but mold growth happens a lot faster and with less water than structural damage will. Mold growth can start in as little as 24 hours. It is extremely important to start replacing wet insulation and drying the walls and ceilings (and floors) as soon as possible. Water damage companies like PureDry offer 24-hour emergency services to help extract the water as soon as possible and eliminate the chance for mold growth.

Mold only needs 3 things to grow: (1) food, (2) water, and (3) optimal temperature. Mold can use almost anything as food to grow. It can literally grow in leather! Given moisture and a 75- degree temperature, mold can produce very quickly and spread fast. Mold will not die in colder temperatures; it will become dormant, but it will not die.

Drying and Cleaning Up Wet Walls/Wet Ceilings

Drying and cleaning up water damage to walls and ceilings is not typically a job that you want to do on your own. Mostwet walls seattle, wet ceilings seattle people do not have the proper water extraction equipment and drying tools to make sure all the water is removed. Another problem with handling the problem without a professional technician is that a tech knows how to find the source of the problem, eliminate the source of where the water is coming from, and how to properly dry and replace any insulation or drywall that needs to prevent any further hazard to your home.

Professional water damage technicians can also identify problems that you may not be aware of. Mold does not show on the surface until 1-2 weeks after water has set inside a wall or ceiling. That means that you may not be aware of mold growth within the structure of the wall or ceiling. A good technician will be able to identify the source of the mold growth and destroy it.

Many people think that using bleach to clean up mold will do the trick, but bleach is only made for hard surfaces. It cannot get in porous areas to reach the deep-seated spores.

It’s never a good idea to let wet walls and wet ceilings go unattended for a long or even a short period of time. Get in contact with a certified, reputable company like PureDry for emergency services and friendly technicians that will help you understand the situation your home is in and what the best course of action is to repair your walls or ceiling and put your home back into a healthy, livable condition.

FREE INSTANT QUOTE